Dr. Damaris Gechemba Nyakoe
Position/Designation: HOD, Department of Languages, Linguistics & Literature
Phone: +254-722 900790
I am a holder of a PhD and a Master of Arts Degree in Linguistics from Maseno University. I also have an undergraduate degree from Kenyatta University in Bachelor of Education (Arts) with a specialization in English and Literature.
I have 8 years university teaching experience. I have taught both at the undergraduate and post graduate levels. I am currently supervising a number of post graduate students and likely to graduate one at the end of this year. I equally worked with the TSC as a teacher of English between 2001 and 2008.
Membership to professional bodies
I am a member of the Christian and Scientific Association of Kenya.
- Research interest
My research interests include, cognitive Linguistics, computed mediated communication and sociolinguistics.
- Ongoing research projects
I am currently researching on, metaphor and education.
- Nyakoe, G. D. (2019). Mental Representation and Interpretation of HIV as a Death Sentence in EkeGusii HIV and AIDS Metaphor. East African Journal of Education, Humanities and Literature, vol. 2, (2): 93-97.
- . Anyuor, N. and Gechemba, D. N. (2018). Role Devolution in Peace Building in Kenya: A Lesson from of Rwanda’s Decentralization. In Amutabi, M, (Ed.), Political Economy of Development in Africa ( pp. 26-35). Nairobi: Centre of Democracy, Research, and Development.
- Oyioka, D., Nyakoe, G.D. and Ongarora, D. (2017). A Linguistic Analysis of Form and Content of Al-Shabaab’s press Statements on the recent Kenyan terror attacks. Multilingual Academic Journal of Education and Social Sciences, 5 (1):28-42.
- Yakub, A., Nyakoe, G.D. and Okal O.B. (2017). Discourse of traditional medicine street advertisements in Kisumu Kenya. Saudi Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 2, (7): 497-503.
- Nyakoe, D and Yakub, A. (2017). Metaphorical Conceptualization of contracting HIV is an accident in EkeGusii HIV and AIDS discourse. International Journal of Scientific Research and Innovative Technology, Vol 4 (5): 2313-3759.
- Nyakoe, D., Ongarora, D. and Oloo, P. (2014). An Analysis of the food metaphor in EkeGusii HIV and AIDS discourse. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol 4(1):221-227.
- Nyakoe, G. D., Oloo, P. & Ongarora D. (2014). Conceptualization of the seropositive using the journey metaphor in EkeGusii HIV and AIDS discourse in Kisii County, Kenya. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol 4(8):316-326.
- Nyakoe, G.D., Matu, M.P. and Ongarora, O.D. (2012). Conceptualization of ‘Death is a Journey’ and ‘Death as Rest’ in EkeGusii euphemism. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, Vol 2(7):1452-1457.